Members look forward to the GNRHS convention held each year in a city along the former route of the Great Northern Railway. Convention locations alternate between GN's Lines East and Lines West. Our conventions are a great opportunity to connect with fellow Great Northern enthusiasts, historians and modelers. They are also a great place to meet Great Northern veterans.
Our conventions run Saturdays through Wednesdays and have a combination of the following activities:
- Railfair - sell or buy GN railroadiana, books and model railroad supplies
- Presentations - on all subjects related to the GN
- Train Ride - when possible and sometimes behind our own GN SD45 #400 'Hustle Muscle'
- Rail Tours - to ex GN facilities, museums and other interesting places
- Alternative Tours - for those interested in the other sights of the area
- Model Railroad Tour - visit Great Northern layouts in all scales
- Model Display - show off your favorite model and see great GN models by others
- Banquet - enjoy a nice dinner, a GN related speech and our famous raffle with great prices
The Convention is also where the GNRHS Board holds its annual Board Meeting (open to all members) and where we conduct our Business Meeting. The Convention is the place to meet your Society's Directors and Officers.
Special convention apparel is available for purchase each year and convention goers receive a free convention cup as part of their convention package.
Specific info about the upcoming convention is published in the March Goat and on this website. Registration runs from March through June. Late registrations are accepted, but tours are on an availability basis only. Apparel is only available during the normal registration period.